Monday, September 28, 2009

Christmas Card Display Tutorial

Hi friends,
Remember this card display I created with the goodies from YMH?


Well, I was so tickled that many of you asked me to share the deets of how I created it! So today, I have the tutorial to share with ya. Here's what we'll be making today!
This paper is so pretty- loads of sparkle! When you use pretty paper like this, it makes the process faster- let it do all the work! I also like the fact that it's non-traditional Christmas colors. So let's get on with the deets shall we...

Here's what you'll need:
3 sheets 12"x12" cardstock (nice heavyweight is better)
ribbon
strong adhesive (I used Scor-tape)
bone folder
cutting mat, exact-o knife, ruler
clips & clipper tool

Take your cardstock & make a mark at 6" (the half-way point)


up close

Do the same with the other 2 cardstock sheets.

Line up the ruler with the mark you made at the top center with the bottom corner of the paper and Score.


Move the ruler about 1/2" over to the right & Cut with blade.
It should look like this:


Do the same thing to the other side. Line up the ruler with the top mark with the bottom corner & score.

Move the ruler 1/2" over to the left and cut.

With both sides done, it should look like this:
Here's what the top of the cardstock will look like:

Do the same thing to the other sheets of Cardstock so they look like this:

Now fold your score lines on all three sheets for ease of assembly.

Add adhesive as shown: On sheet #1 (pink), add adhesive to both flaps, on sheet #2 (white) add adhesive to ONE flap , on sheet #3 (black) add adhesive to ONE flap (opposite flap of sheet #2).


I see a hand up. Why not add adhesive to all flaps? Ahh, good question, friend. Well, because I want to be able to store it FLAT. But if you're not concerned about storage then just add adhesive to all flaps. But if you want to be able to store it flat (to use next year) follow me!

Now remove the adhesive from both the pink & white papers & adhere together making sure the edges are flushed & even.
back view:
front view
Now add your last sheet. There should be NO adhesive on the remaining 2 flaps.
back view:

front view:
Now, here's how we're going to make this collapsible.

Fold your flaps like you would if you were going to adhere it. NOTE: You will probably need to trim the top of the other two inside flaps so that you can close your display. Simply trim at an angle. Then, I used my clipper tool to help me clip the flaps together tightly but without having to adhere them. Just put the flaps into the tool & press down on the handle. It will attach the clippie easy peasy.
Do that all the way across the flap to the top.Stick a fork in it~~~> it's done!

Here are some side views: (Here's where you can ink the edges if you'd like)

Here's how it folds flat: I unclipped the clippies from the inside & clipped them on the outside to hold it closed- and that way you'll always know where they are when you're ready to use it again :) Double-duty, I like! I like!

side view: I'm holding it with one finger! Super slim, like me :) NOT!!!
Here's how I dressed it up a bit. I added this satin pink ribbon & added the snowball trim. It adds a really fun look, don't ya think? I would have loved to use the Pebbles ribbon like I did on the other display I made, but I didn't have pink, black, or white. :( Luuuv that ribbon! The display stands on the little snowballs- cool, eh!

And even with all those fun snowballs, it still folds flat.But wait... I'm not done yet! Well, this tutorial is done, but I'M not done adding all the embellies I want to add to it. I'm adding a sparkly white, pink, & black snowflake topper I'm creating with my Cricut & adding some clippies to the display to attach my cards.
This is a simple project to create so I hope you give it a try!
If you're interested, the clipper tool & clips can be found here at YMH Store for only $1.99 that includes 50 clippies & the tool too!

Thank you so much for requesting this tutorial & I hope I was able to explain it well for you. I'm off finish it up. I'll post a pic of the final finished project---Gotta go!


The 411
Paper: Glittered Christmas Stack -DCWV
Tools: Clipper Tool - Around the Block
Other: Ribbon- Michaels

3 comments:

  1. wow!! this is just beautiful! thanks for sharing the tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This took sometime to make. I love the unusual folds and how it all came together. The colors are fantatstic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tutorial and the end result is too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin