Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Bag Topper

Howdy friends,
I wanted to share a quickie project today. I like embellishing my own bags & adding a bag topper is like icing on the cake.

Here's the bag:
As you can see, it's a plain kraft gift bag with some simple embellishment. I used some scraps left from my Calendar Cube project ;) but what's cool is the bag topper!


It slides right off the handles, so the recipient doesn't have to tear open the bag, but the contents are nicely hidden.

Here's a peek from the top:


Here's a quickie how-to:
First, measure the length of your bag since bags are slightly different. Leave 1/4" extra on each side.

Cut a cardstock piece the length you just measured that when folded in half, will be long enough to punch a decorative border & overhang the front & back.

Then make pencil marks on your cardstock on the OUTSIDE of the handles. You'll want to move your marks 1/8th inch past the handles so that it slides easily over the handles.

I used my word window punch to trim in between those pencil marks. You can also use a craft knife.

Here's what it will look like:
Then you simply slide the handles through the opening & your bag topper is in place :)

We have a new teacher in the Spanish Department who has survived her first month of school so we're adding some goodies in the bag to celebrate!

I have a variation on this so I'll share that next time!
Hope these directions were OK & that you give this a go. I should have thought of making a tute while making it, but alas...
Gotta go!

6 comments:

  1. Love how the topper slides off. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Thanks for the tutorial :-) beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea!! I use gift bags all the time instead of wrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorei o tutorial! Muito obrigada por nos mostrar!


    Rosemére

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muito obrigada por mostrar essa bela ideia!
    Abraços do Brasil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea. I'm going to make gift bag packs for my daughters. We always need gift bags. I just found your blog, and look forward to spending some time perusing through it. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin