Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Yo Quiero Taco Bell

Hi ya friends,
Yes, I'm still around :( sorry I haven't posted too much. I thought the state testing at school last week was gonna kill me, let me tell ya! and I'm still deaf in my right ear :( my ear infection went from bad to worse. ugh... With the craziness that has been my life lately, teacher appreciation snuck up on me this year, so I had to pull an all-nighter to get this one done mainly because I was hoping my son would give me some help inspiring me to create something for his teacher. I kept asking him what he saw his teacher eating or drinking & he said "She always gets stuff from Taco Bell." So after 3 months or so I gave up on my son noticing much else & decided that if Taco Bell is what she likes (oh poor woman!) then, I needed to rise to the occasion & come up with something tasty.
Here's what I came up with:

Here's a gable box I created with my Cricut using the Bags, Tags, Boxes, & more 2 cart (Luuuuuv it!) I wanted it to look like the Taco Bell taco box. I printed the Taco Bell logo & adhered it to the front of the box. 
 Here's the back of the box (which gives you a clue about what's inside :)
 The taco came from the Olé Cricut cart.

Here's what's inside:
 It's a trio of tacos which double as gift card holders :)

Here's a closer peek:
 To create the tacos, I simply cut out circles & folded them in half. I added brown marks with a brown pen to resemble those bits of corn which tortillas have. I cut strips of green paper for the lettuce, red squares for tomatoes, and yellow strips for cheese. Then I tucked a gift card inside. (It was nice to finally find a use for the Crushed Curry cardstock. It's the perfect color for corn tortillas!)

To hold the tacos upright, I created a special insert:

Here they are inside:
The meat are the gift cards :) There's a gift card for Starbucks, itunes, and of course, Taco Bell.

Here's the card that's getting tucked in on top of the tacos:
I know it totally doesn't match the taco motif, but I seriously was running on empty! (Please don't look at my horrible coloring... I'm rusty from lack of practice :( This cutie is called "You Make the Grade- PI" from MFT.

BTW, I used this week's MFT sketch for my card:
I hope she likes another one of my crazy concoctions! I do appreciate all the work, patience, & more patience it takes to be a teacher---> especially to my kiddo!

Note: The Cricut Olé cart is super cute, but I recommend you wait if you've been thinking of getting it. Why??? Well, cuz there are several mistakes on that cart :(  ---> grammatical, spelling, and content. The word is PC may be fixing the carts. They could have saved themselves some embarrassment & $$$ by hiring ME as their Spanish consultant ;) I would cost them just a small arm & a leg ;) EDITED TO ADD: GOOD NEWS!!! Provo Craft contacted me to let me know it has been updated for the new machines! The carts will also be updated. Yaaay! My new cart is on it's way :)

A couple more deets: the completed box measures 5 3/4" x 4 3/4" x 7 1/2" cut on "fit to page" on a 12 x 24 mat. It turned out to be a *perfect* sized box. The papers used on my card came from the Grade School Stack by DCWV.

Well, thanks for hanging in on a long post. Mother's day is coming up so there's no slowing down for me just yet!

Thanks for peeking! and Happy Teacher Appreciation Day to all my teacher friends! :)
Gotta Go!

6 comments:

  1. This is too funny! Love the tacos with meat gift cards, great idea! She will love this, it's creative and fun. Your card is great, too, I think your coloring is amazing like always! Well done gift Karli. Sorry your still not feeling 100%, that stinks.

    LOL, I think boys are all the same, I keep asking my son about his teach and all he says is she eats oranges. What to do with that one??!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTFLOL!!!!! This is SUPER FANTASTIC!!! Your box is Adorable and the tacos are darling.
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The taco gift card holders are adorable!!!

    How awful that you are still having trouble from the ear infection. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and you can send one my way. I love Taco Bell and sad to say I had a spanish great grandmother. They never passed much to us in food. Too bad. Yuh

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Those are AWESOME!! So Creative. I don't usually comment on blogs but had to on this. What a great and creative idea for teacher appreciation. So different than anything else! Thanks for all your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karli,
    So very sorry to hear that you are still fighting that awful ear infection. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you will soon be all better. Ugh!
    Your Taco Bell box and taco gift holders are genius. Even when you think you are running on empty, you are still far more creative than I will ever be.
    I absolutely love that teacher card.
    Thank you for all you do for your students and for all you teach your online papercrafting students!
    Get well soon and have a Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin