Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pocket Letter Lite

Hello there friends,
So the latest rage is pocket letters. I think it's a clever idea to keep snail mail and that ancient tradition of writing letters alive and well. I will admit, I'm not a letter writer- I'm a card maker. Well, I have a friend who sends me sweet messages through snail mail & I'm super bad about writing her back :( ---> (insert boos and hisses here). Anyhoo, when I came across this pocket letter concept I thought of my friend. I thought I would give one a try & she would be the one to make it for.

So the basic steps to creating a pocket letter is taking a 9 pocket trading card sleeve and creating little inserts for each pocket, one to be a letter to include in one of the pockets. I found the sleeves at Target for 70 sleeves for $9. OK, that's cheap and probably a few lifetimes' supply!

So when I started working on it I became a bit overwhelmed. It took me forever to create the first insert and I had 8 more to create! No bueno :( So... I resized it to be a little easier to complete. What did I do? I cut 3 of the pockets off the edge! Now it was a 6 pocket letter *Ü*

'Nuff blabber. Here's the final product:
 Of course, it's hard to photograph the pockets, so I took each one out of the sleeves & took a pic of each one. I snipped off the side with the binder strip because my friend isn't going to put it in a binder.

Here's the first one:
***I water colored all of the images for her pocket letter with Distress Inks.

The second pocket contains a tea bag and a teapot diecut.

The 3rd: This is my letter. I added a couple of vellum feather die cuts (because she's a writer). 

The 4th: Water colored the butterflies & added a die cut Hello

 The 5th: Water colored the Dogwood flowers & heat embossed "friendship" on a strip of vellum.

The 6th: A shaker birdcage. Water colored birdie.

The good thing about cutting it down to 6 pockets is that it folded down to fit a regular A2 envelope. *Ü*

I liked the idea of wrapping a doily around it & tying it with some twine before putting it in the envelope.*Ü*

I hope my friend enjoys this pocket letter. You can find more info about them ---> HERE.
All the goodies  I used are listed below.

Thanks so much for sticking around for this long post! Have you created a pocket letter? It's a very cool & creative process---that I can handle in 6 pockets! Lol... *Ü*

¡Adiós amigas!

The 411
I used papers from the Quilting Bee 6x6 pad from MME for all of the inserts. All images were water-colored with Distress Inks.

1) Stamp: Stuck on You-Lawn Fawn, Dies: Precious Polaroids- MFT

2) Stamp & Dies: Always time for Tea- MFT

3) Dies: Feathers & Arrows-MFT, "You"- PTI

4) Stamp & Dies: Antique Flowers & Butterflies- Hero Arts, "Hello" die-Wplus9

5) Stamp & Dies: Antique Flowers & Butterflies- Hero Arts, Happy Every Day- SSS

6) Dies: Contempo Cage, Musical Notes-MFT, Assorted sequins, acetate

3 comments:

  1. I had never heard of Pocket Letters until I saw your post. I watched Jannette Lane's videos and think this is a cute idea. Not sure if I want to send things around the world, however, I think my paper crafting niece and niece-in-law would enjoy receiving a pocket letter from me. I think it would also be fun to do these for children. Love your little inserts (especially that cute shaker bird and cage). Thanks for sharing this neat idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where have I been--I have never heard of pocket letters! What a fun concept. Love the doily wrapping and all of your themes. Your letter-writing friend will certainly enjoy receiving this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never heard too Karli and yours is so adorable so clever and very creative
    and you said 70 sleeves for $9.may I buy it 20 pieces Karli
    its a great price and I never seen it in germany
    if you tell me how many it is for 20 Pcs I will buy from you hehe
    I wish I get a card from you Karli
    and now I know you are not writing letter hehehe
    hugs, Monika

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment :) So appreciated!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin